Friday, July 11, 2008

Sweetness in Small Doses

Some of my best memories of childhood are linked to the smell of sweet grass.


I spent a lot of time lying on my back in places like this. Spending a lot of time on your back, in places like this, makes it pretty clear how beautiful our country is.


Sometimes, living in the city, I forget that.


Today, stuck in traffic just south of the Eight Mile Detroit boundary, I rolled down my windows as I sat, an abandoned lot to my left, a Dunkin' Donuts to my right. I'm happy, nay, giddy to report that sweet grass was alive and well in this city in the AM of this July day. To be more exact, it was growing, to the best of my estimation, in the abandoned lot to my left. I'm sure there's something to be learned from this, but I was too busy hanging my head out the window to put it all together. Hoping everyone finds a bit of sweet grass today, wherever they may be. I'm especially thinking of those who are spending the day much further east than the rest of us.

No comments: