Friday, July 18, 2008

J. Who?




Remember this?:
J.Crew Vs J. Peterman

After I posted this face-off between my two favorite clothiers, many of you wrote to ask if, in fact, J. Peterman is real.

"I thought he was just a fictional Seinfeld character," you said. Well. He's real. And so is his retail company. And so is his blog. And so is his very funny marketing manager, who I met for the first time, in my inbox, on Monday morning, over green tea:

Good Morning Miss Ive,

I have thoroughly enjoyed your post: J.Crew Vs. J. Peterman

Let me be the first (hopefully) to contact you and put all claims aside as your bookmark favorite.

I am the Director of Marketing for the J. Peterman Company and want to thank you for your article. We've all enjoyed.

Wishing you great success.

Cheers,







So how do you like them apples, J.Crew? Or better yet, let me tell you how I like 'em. I like 'em a lot. I'm a woman of my word. The minute I publish this post, I am headed to my bookmark, will highlight J.Crew, and let my well-toned, shopping finger free fall onto the DELETE button. 

I'm not saying there won't be some tears. We go back a long way, J.Crew and I. But as with many great love stories, this one seems unrequited.

So this is my Dear J. letter:

My Dearest J. Crew,

I've given you my size-four years. And what have you given me in return? A bunch of over-priced, moth-hole-ridden sweaters? And what about all those years I was knocked up and you, well, CONVENIENTLY, were not THERE for me. No, actually, it's worse than that. I'll not hold back. Remember the time you sent me glossy pics of your SKINNY jeans in my third trimester? Well, I do. That hurt. Really hurt.

You're lucky I'm an efficient, band-aid ripping type of gal. Now go peddle your colorful stories elsewhere. I'm older, and wiser, and, well, about 10 grand lighter, thanks to you.

I feel cheap, in a broke sorta way.

Chin up, though. We'll both move on.

M.I.

And though I feel a little sleezy doing a break-up and a make-out in the same post, can I just gush for one moment about my new love? There's nothing in life I love more than a great adventure. And, in my brief affair with J. Peterman and Co., I feel a kindred spirit in that sentiment. They celebrate fine things, and not for their 'thing-ness,' but for the beauty that they bring, and for the richness of the lands from whence they come.

Go to their site. Not with your credit card—go with some tea, and some time. Their copy is art. Its jocosity, intellect and innuendo inspired a man like Larry David to jump on the bandwagon. What more can be said?

And go to their blog. It's full of the ruckus-raising  you'd expect with such a namesake. I especially say this to all my literary friends and mentors. Go and raise a ruckus of your own.

J. Peterman Company has dresses that quote Emerson, perfume that recites poetry, virginal-white nightgowns for riding on horseback, magnificent French kitchen pottery that thirsts for direct flame, New Zealand sheepskin rugs for naked frolics with Errol Flynn, and I've just scratched the surface. Oh, there's a couple things for boys, too. Sorry. I'm still thinking about the sheepskin. Got a little, um, distracted. 


So today, I say goodbye to J.Crew. And though I should be sad, I just can't stop thinking about that other 'J.' That email blew the fresh scent of foreign winds into my bookmark. I thank you, J. Peterman. Because of you, by lunchtime today, I can expect to find myself in the Outer Hebrides, lying on my back in a wool dress, hand-dyed with red Alder berries. I will love my dress. Not for its dress-ness. Not because it makes my butt look small. I will love it because when I slip it over my head and around my shoulders, our mutual love of all things beautiful will grace me with the gift of fluent Gaelic and the ability to discriminate between variants of peat in single malt Scotch.


Hello, J. Peterman

10 comments:

Unknown said...

I just read your blog about J. who? I have to say i loved it. I too am addicted to online shopping. I had never been on the J.Peterman site until I read your piece this morning. I definatly liked what saw. I might just to say goodye to jcrew as well. Thanks,Miss Ive you have opened my eyes!

Lisa said...

How cool! I investigated their site and like the stuff a lot!

Anonymous said...

Let me get this straight...

You're saying that you like J. Peterman clothing!

Funny post. Keep up the good work

Drewdoo

Miss Ive said...

Emily, You are very welcome.

Lisa, Glad you liked it.

Drewdoo, Much thanks.

Anonymous said...

Hey, do they have those rugs in pink? Grrrrrrr.

Anonymous said...

Are the clothes comfortabe?

I chafe very easily so I can only wear clothes
that are very soft.

Could you let me know some time soon because I need
to get rid of the new bills that I have because they are chaffing my hands.

Saul

Anonymous said...

do they make clothes for lesbians? it's a valid question, no?

Miss Ive said...

I don't know a woman alive who doesn't dress to impress other women, in her heart of hearts. You wan't it—he got it. Go get yer-self somethin' purty for your missus.

Anonymous said...

Which of the J. Peterman dresses would you recommend if you're planning on attending a formal engagement?

Fickle Shopper

Miss Ive said...

For a formal engagement? I would recommend letting a dear friend choose one for you. It will add to the sentiment, something which Mr. Peterman and I both hold dearly.

Nice try.