Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Pancakes with Larry David



Last Saturday morning I woke to find my six-year-old son on the couch with his book.

Me: Morning, babe.
Son: Morning, mommy
Me: How 'bout some pancakes?
Son: No, thank you. I'll just have cereal.
Me: You don't want PANCAKES?
Son: (Finally looking up from his book) No. Pancakes make me nervous.
Me: I'm sorry?
Son: It's the syrup. You never know where it will show up. It gets on my elbows. And once on my ear.

I walk over to him and place a hand on either side of his face, tipping it up toward me.

Son: Mommy, what are you doing?
Me: I'm looking into your eyes to see if Larry David has, in fact, died within the night and entered your tiny body.
Son: Mommy?
Me: Yes, son.
Son: Now you're making me nervous.

4 comments:

Nora said...

This was great. Lisa has told me lots about you and I was hoping to meet you when I was home...

Thanks for stopping by my blog! Can I link yours to the side of mine?

Anonymous said...

Good Afternoon Missive:

The look on his face was priceless! I let the cat out of the bag during dinner as he was taking a bite of Mediterranean Shrimp Salad. He looked at me and said "Are you kidding me?" I replied "No...dear I am taking you parking after dinner!" I have never seen my husband eat as fast in 33 years. We had reservations at the Melting Pot and I changed them to a local steakhouse because it takes 3 hours to eat a meal at the MP. It is a good thing... he would have never made it through the night. The anticipation almost drove him crazy. It was a good thing! I took him to our friends farm drive way where they have twinkle lights in the rows of trees along the winding driveway. Very nice. I located the Barry White CD and put that on just before reaching our destination. I literally pulled him over the seat and the rest is history! Needless to say...he was putty in my hands!!!! We laughed and talked about old memories and made some new ones too. Thanks for your awesome idea! I have to say last night will go down as one of the best anniversaries we have ever shared, except maybe Hawaii.

Lisa said...

I love this anecdote!

Anonymous said...

I REALLY LIKE THE WAY YOU THINK...SO DOES MY HUSBAND (EVEN THOUGH HE THINKS THE IDEA WAS ALL MINE!. I AM GIVING YOU MY PERSONAL E-MAIL ADDRESS FOR FUTURE CORRESPONDENCE. I LOOK FORWARD TO HEARING FROM YOU SOON. I WILL MISS YOUR AMUSING, CREATIVE, AND KNOWLEDGEABLE POSTS. HAVE A WONDERFUL TRIP!

lancem@alltel.net