Friday, October 31, 2008

Kiddy Contraband



My first-grade son brought me an envelope last night from his backpack.

Me: What's this?
Him: I think it's from the teacher. It was in my locker at the end of the day.

It was a white no. 10 envelope with three stamps in the upper-right corner and my son's name (misspelled W-i-l-y-m) scribbled in blue crayoned letters, graduating in size from left to right.

Me: Really? Since when does Mrs. S use blue crayon and penmanship that indicates either underdeveloped fine-motor skills or something other than coffee in her thermos?
Him: Huh?

There was a blue "?" on the back. Hmmmmmmmm. . .

Inside: a tightly folded piece of stationary. On the front, a picture of a beautiful princess with uber-long hair and hearts for eyes, drawn in blue ink. Now, may I just pause here to say that I DO have to commend this pint-sized seductress for changing writing utensils for a bold look on the envelope, and one of higher precision on the letter itself. A practice I myself use. Oh, she's good.

On the back side, I found this:

"I (very large colored-in heart) you Wilym
I am your itmyyrwr (am guessing 'admirer,' and, again, not bad for a first grader)
I am in your clais room"

After I took a moment to let what I was reading sink in, I found myself saying two things simultaneously.

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhh. . .

and

Who in the hell is this tramp?

Unfortunately for her, it was the latter emotion that prevailed. So tomorrow girls, when I show up with my little Darth Vader at the early-morning classroom lineup, I'll be looking over all of you very carefully. And I'll ferret you out. Because moms know.

Just you try to hide behind this:



Or, God forbid, this:



And just so you know, I'll be the one who looks like this:



Son: Is it from Mrs. S, mommy?
Me: Yes, dear, it is.
Son: What did she say?
Me: That you should live with your mother forever and little girls are not to be trusted.
Son: Oh. Yeah. I already knew that.
Me: Smart boy.

4 comments:

Brian and Becky said...

Great post!

Anonymous said...

Whatever happened to the days of first grade boys being icky and filled with cooties??

Anonymous said...

Emperor

Young love is just that, young.

Try to remember your first crush.
Think hard… I know it was a long time ago.

I remember my first crush. Chelsea, it was innocent.

As I’m sure Darth Vader’s first admirer is, innocent.

It won’t be the last time you’ll find a love note in your son’s backpack. I’m positive.

Don’t send him to the dark side of the Force prematurely!

Obi-Wan Kenobi

p.s. Funny post

E. Fatale said...

Oh, whatta hoot.
Bless him, for this is only the beginning.
Good luck, Ive.

-E.