Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Distant Dreamer

Okay. . .

Remember my big adventure? And remember how I'm filming it? And remember how I have no idea what the feck is involved with making a short film? Well it turns out, after much discussion with both the director and the producer who are both well versed in legal copyright issues, music is a taboo unless I have paid for the rights.

A transcript from my three most recent phone conferences with producer:

Me: I was hoping we could use something from Modest Mouse on the road trip portion.
Alex: Nope

Me: Maybe we could SING the WORDS to a Billy Joel song on the run through the park.
Alex: Nope

Me: I'm picturing a scene where my sister and I are sharing the ear buds from an iPod and MOUTHING the lyrics to a U2 song.
Alex: (For a very important producer, he doesn't have very impressive phone service. I believe the call was dropped, as I did not get a response.)

So I have to BUY music, MAKE my own music, or BEG for free rights to music.

I only have enough in my budget to purchase a fourth-grade version of Hot Cross Buns, performed on recorders. And I can't sing or play my way out of a bad karaoke joint. Soooooo. . . begging it is. And I NEED help. Please do this. If you have any respect for clean air and would like to keep it free of my own recorder playing, please do this.

Step One:

Listen



The director found this song whilst dusting off his only 'chick' CD to inspire him while story-boarding this film. He made me hear it. "It's perfect for your project. PERFECT." And it is. I was skeptical, as I believe all men think that 'inspirational chick music' sounds the same. But this is perfect.

I have to have it.

Step Two:

Click here. It will take you to Duffy's site 'contact' page.

Then cut and paste from below to fill in fields.


Name: (your own name)

Subject: PR enquires

Email Address: sandinmyswimsuit@gmail.com

Message:

I am writing on behalf of Miss Ive's short film. She is the craziest girl I know and certainly a 'Distant Dreamer,' as evidenced by the fact that she has written to everyone she knows around this world and has nicely requested (under threat of bodily harm) that we write to you. She would love nothing more than to grace her project with Duffy's song, Distant Dreamer. She believes it is possible you will say yes. Remember, she's a dreamer.

{Insert one-two sentences describing a crazy dream of your own} And, now, thanks to my crazy friend, Miss Ive, I am inspired to go do this. Blame her if you will, but please give her what she asks. She's insufferable when she does not get it.

With much gratitude,

(your name)


Okay. Now you know what to do. Do it. Then play this song again. If, at song's end, you DO NOT end up standing in your chair, hands in the air, you have no soul. It's that good.

7 comments:

Brian and Becky said...

I love Modest Mouse! C'mon, what respectable band of men wouldn't want to be associated with a group of hot chicks?

Seriously.

Well, hopefully at least Duffy can relate to our mission!

Brian and Becky said...

I did it! I did it!

Anonymous said...

Message has been sent!

Muah,
JFree

Anonymous said...

The mind-numbingly simple song "Hot Cross Buns®" is actually owned by a subsidiary of the media conglomeration known as AOL Time Warner.

These days you can’t even sing “Happy Birthday®” without committing usage and copyright infringement (also owned by AOL Time Warner).

I would buy yourself a guitar and some blank sheet music this weekend. Who knows, you might come up with something great!

Good luck® (also owned by AOL Time Warner)!

John Johnson

Anonymous said...

Wish we could get the copyrights to this one also ~ LOVE this song & it could tie in....http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bg3-X9t7GCI

The Suzzzz said...

Try searching for music that is in the public domain. A lot of music is published and then the rights expire and you can use that, free and clear.

You can sample soundbites of music if they are less than 30 seconds and the film is not for commercial gain and you cite copyright information.

Anonymous said...

Start with a tune that's not too melodic
Sing it in a flat tone that's strangely hypnotic
Put some flannel in your voice, it's always erotic
Quirky little sayings make you sound quite exotic.
do do do do do do

MissIve, YOU can sing this. The tune is yours, I give you the words.

And you may certainly borrow this:
Hug me round the neck now, let me see your face.

Hug me round the neck child, let me kiss your face
Darling some folks need a reason, honey we just need the place.

YoOur admirer, WT