Friday, October 10, 2008

Murphy's Law and Broken Furnaces



A week ago, it was fall in Michigan. Real fall. Sweater weather. "I can see my breath at night" weather. And so the furnace broke on that day, of course.

When I heard the "bad news," I was prepared. Murphy, his Law, and I go way back. Way, way back. We chat often, like old schoolmates.

And this time, our chat went like this:

Me: Seriously?
Murph: You know it, honey. (For those of you who have not met Murphy or his Law, he generally stands askew, leaning against a doorjamb and blowing casually on his fingertips. )
Me: Fine. Give me the new furnace. Take my $2500. Take it.

Well, he did. The furnace was installed yesterday. Thursday. You know, that day that peaked at 78 degrees Fahrenheit? The one that, when paired with a gleaming new hotrod of a furnace in the basement, pretty much defines IRONY? Yeah, that one. Apparently, it's supposed to stay that way until after the weekend. UNTIL PAYDAY.



So I called my old friend Murphy.

Me: What's up?
Murph: Nothin'
Me: Wanna go for ride?
Murph: (Smacking his gum in my ear) You bet ya, babe.
Me: Good.

Have packed my shotgun. Might need some bail money tomorrow, girls. My bank account is a bit shy these days. Roughly $2500 shy.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think the problme was your sweater . . . Not the furnace.

http://www.jcrew.com/AST/Browse/WomenBrowse/Women_Shop_By_Category/sweaters/dream/PRDOVR~97673/97673.jsp

Anonymous said...

Shhhhh!!!

Murphy will fit in my trunk along with a pick axe and a shovel. This way we don't have to worry about the bail money above and beyond $2,500.

Shhhhh!!!

John 'Knuckles' Johnson

The Suzzzz said...

Ouch. Murphy still owes me for the dishwasher, washer and dryer, siding, the damage to the back of the house when Pache ran her car in to the back door, the 4 floods from broken pipes, the broken bathtub, the dead gearbox in the truck, and the 2 separate repairs on the furnace and air conditioning units.

Don't hurt him, just hold him upside down until his wallet and all his pocket change fall out. Steal his clothes too, we can sell them to the clothing-by-the-pound place down the street.

Lance Witts said...

That’s certainly an expensive furnace, Miss Ive! Hope it’s still serving you well after four years. Better keep it clean and maintain it regularly so you can enjoy its services longer. :)