Monday, October 27, 2008

BlackBall BlackFinn


This is the new bar in Royal Oak. Brand new. Though if you go to their site, you'll see that they are building their reputation around their "Tradition, Tradition, Tradition." And I asked myself, "Exactly what sort of tradition are they building on, considering they're so new to our town and only around since 1994 at their first location?"

But if you read the news, you'll see what they apparently mean by "Tradition."

Not wanting to jump to conclusions, I made the rounds myself and talked to the staff at local venues. The stories are unbelievable, offered in great detail, and consistent. That's hard evidence to refute. Stories of hordes of BlackFinn employees making the rounds to other bars, causing big scenes, buying drinks for customers, and then telling them to come over to BlackFinn. It's also been carried off in such an organized and methodical manner that it's hard to refute that the impetus came from upper ranks.

Trust me, I was in the service industry. As a 'people,' mass organization is not at the top of our skill sets. If we do anything as a group, there's bound to be a manager behind it. And even then, we barely listen. Really. Any Food and Beverage manager reading this right now is no doubt giving me an Amen, sister. I have no doubt their actions were planned and probably motivated with the incentive that works best on servers (again, much experience here): free booze and less closing sidework. We're very easily bought and sold. As a people, that is.

Their behavior is sad, really. It's like they're the new girl in school trying to sleep their way to the top. Dontcha know what you're doing to your reputation? Dontcha? For God's sake, pull yourself together and have an ounce of respect.

It's not that we're afraid of a fair fight here in Royal Oak. And it's definitely not because we shy away from the 'creative.' Though you can see from my post title, my first instinct was to call for a plain old blackball. But that's boring.

I've changed my mind. I think we should show BlackFinn just how creative we can be. They have announced themselves to the neighborhood by showing just how little respect they have for their reputation. Let's be neighborly. Let's show them that we've heard them. And, let's all stop by to pay our respects.

But just to be clear, they've asked that they not be the aperitif like you might have at Pronto. They've also denied that they're anywhere near good enough for the house-brewed beer you'll enjoy at Bastone. And they'd rather die than be treated with the respect you'd offer the single malt at Goodnite Gracie's. They've actually made it quite clear that they're even beneath a good old-fashioned night cap at Tom's.

Let's be sure that we go to them as they've come to us. Shall we?



And don't worry about flushing the toilet. Or cleaning up your mess. They wouldn't hear of it.

Oh, I almost forgot. Order a water on your way out the door. They love that.

Please feel free to post a note to BlackFinn here. I will be emailing them the link at the end of the day, once we've all had our say.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I support any movement that reduces the crowds at BlackFinn, as I have not been able to park to pick up Noodles since May.

A girl should not have to push her way through scantily dressed drunken hordes for whole wheat Tuscan linguine.

Anonymous said...

We had a conversation about this post last night at the Tweetup. I actually don't mind BlackFinn too much before 6pm as a spot for watching a game. That is when I can actually breathe for five seconds without someone bumping into me.

However, with this new info now exposed, my opinions may change...

*BUM BUM BUMMMMMMM*

The Suzzzz said...

OMG, they sound like the one "I love you, you're my only friend" embarassingly drunk girl at every party. That's pathetic.

Berkley Girl said...

It's also incredibly sad that they have a "VIP" line set up outside on a Friday night. Really, Black Finn, you think you're so special that girls should put on tube tops and wait in line in the cold to be "allowed" in? Most of those girls probably work as stylists at local salons and make half what I do in a year. Here's what's really VIP -- think about how much I might drop on drinks/food using my non-maxed out credit card and not worrying about calories and welcome me in, sans line. Need to find me? I'll be at Pronto.

Anonymous said...

I’m server at one of the downtown Royal Oak restaurants.

I believe that I was the victim of a Black Fin table patron poach a little over two months ago. I remember a greasy looking bar guy approached my table one night when I was busy. At the time I thought nothing of it, I assumed that they all knew each other. Now I realize that this was the furthest thing from the truth! I vaguely remember seeing that he had a large rolled piece of paper under his arm that said ‘Master Plan – Steal All of The Tables That You Can.’ He was also wearing a black t-shirt that said in large white type ‘Black Fin Table Stealing Crew.’ That should have been my first clue. I have been in the service industry for over 32 years now, so I really should have noticed this. To make a long story short, the greasy guy ordered the table another round of drinks and left me a 40% tip. I was having a lousy week so I was really excited about the generous tip!

I waited on the same table a few weeks later. They told me that if I saw the greasy guy walking around the restaurant that I should go ahead and send them their way because they were thinking of going to Black Fin anyway. I think they wanted free drinks!
The guy never showed up and they never ordered so I got out early that night. I decided to checked out the BF that night. I thought it was a pretty cool place.

John 'Current Black Fin Employee' Johnson

Anonymous said...

I believe that I was the victim of a Black Fin table patron poach a little over two months ago. I remember a greasy looking bar guy approaching my table one night when I was busy. At the time I thought nothing of it, I assumed that they all knew each other. Now I realize that this was the furthest thing from the truth! I was under the impression that they would order a full course dinner because I answered several questions regarding the menu. I never had the chance to take their dinner order because they weren’t there when walked away for a minute. I assume that the ‘mole’ left the twenty-dollar bill on my table. It was barely enough to cover the tab, let alone my tip.

Go away Black Fin!!!