Thursday, October 16, 2008

Irish Fare

I went to an Irish pub last night. Ordered the corned beef. Was actually really excited about it. Until every bite, with the exception of ONE, wound up BACK on my plate in a pile of gristle. So gross. How do people swallow that?



Anyway, I'm sure the group of people at the table facing mine enjoyed the show. Especially the faces I was making. At first, I tried to be discreet. Used the napkin. Pretended to cough. By the end, I was spitting it across the room, aiming for the kitchen.

When my waitress cleared my plate with the obligatory, "How was it?," I just nodded to the pile and smiled. Fantastic, I said. More please.

She brought me another Boddingtons. I didn't have to ask. Smart girl. And that IS fantastic. More, please.

And that pretty much summarizes the enigma of Ireland, Scotland and England. How is that they have enough taste to create such bloody good beer, yet none at all when it comes to food? Puzzling.

2 comments:

Brian and Becky said...

Brian and I noticed this very same thing when we went to the UK in 2004. Suffice it to say, if it weren't for the beer, we would have probably lost weight on that trip.

The Suzzzz said...

Please don't judge Irish/British/Scottish food on bad Americanized pub grub, cooked by lazy line cooks who can't be bothered about quality..

I lived in Ireland, County Cork, and found dozens of amazing local restaurants. I lived just a short car ride away from Kinsale which was becoming one of Europes cuilinary hotspots (in 1999 at least). Kinsale had an almost endless variety of fine cuisine based on local Irish food and world fare.

The Isles have good cuisine, I promise, and you don't even have to look very hard these days. You haven't lived until you've had steaming hot, fresh fish and chips or pasties served in brown paper at 3am after a long cold night of pub crawling. There really is more to the food than gristle, curry and peas, or dry roast beef sandwiches in a crappy pub.