Tuesday, September 23, 2008

A Room of One's Own


Over the weekend, I decided to take the very sage advice of one of my female mentors and nick-namesake, Virginia Woolf. The quote below introduces her famous essay on women and fiction, entitled "A Room of One's Own." To boil it down in terms that I can understand, she extricates the things that keep women from themselves and their goals, here, writing fiction. In a nutshell, she makes the claim, something she defines as her humble opinion, that "a woman must have money and a room of her own if she is to write fiction." I'm being greatly reductive. However, so is her thesis. And that's why I like her so much. She gets to the point. And so will I. . .


So can you guess what I did? I'll tell you. I have begun construction on a room of my own. So far, I have one of these:


Lots of these:


And I am in the market for one of these:


Because, it seems, the Internet is not accessible on this variety of type pad. And, apparently, the Internet is very distracting. I think I have Twittered two entire novels, so far. It seems I have a problem with the Internet. Apparently.

When designing a new space, Martha Stewart (yes, I wrote "Martha Stewart" in the same post as "Virginia Woolf") says that you should choose one special piece—a piece of pottery, a clock, a favorite chair—and build around it. And so I have chosen my piece.

Can you guess? . . .



Shocked? It seems this painting has re-entered my life with a tour de force. It's all I write about here and I am planning a trip to go see it here. Have I mentioned that? I have even gone to great lengths to find the perfect dress in which to view it for the first time—aptly named the Portrait Dress, by the ever-romantic J. Peterman and Company.

So it seemed fitting. I couldn't think of anything better to signify my life-changing 'removal of head from sand and onto new horizons' transformation. A renaissance, you might say. Do you see her eyes? Do you see how they are sans sand? Me too.

And before you all worry that Miss Ive has lost her edge and become a complete romantic, you should know that the first thing she had installed was this—in the ceiling:



So she could put away her writing every night at a reasonable hour and watch something wholesome like this:



Sorry, gotta laugh for a minute before I push on to serious matters. Nope. Still laughing.

Okay.

I would love nothing more than for this room to represent this space. This place where I have come to meet with you all daily and, as a result, have realized the need for this renaissance. I would love for this room to be a collaboration. So I leave you today with one very important, space-changing question. . .

What color paint???????

Even if it is your first time here, please leave a suggestion or a link to a color sample. Miss Ive is in paint paralysis. It has to be perfect. PERFECT. Inspired by the painting? By a mood?

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dark red. That was the color of my first ROOO. White woodwork. Brass fittings. Or you can go the other way-neutral, as in bone, and lots of pictures on the walls.
I went dark, dark red, dark-stained wood bookcases all along one wall, favorite paintings and small statues and little important things on the bookshelves, things I could pick up and look at and think abut when I blocked, or just when I wanted to coast.
With neutrals, you have to think more about what you put ON the walls.
Now I have a whole HOUSE of my own-even better!

Miss Ive said...

Miss Olivia,

That sounds perfect!
The walls are very old plaster, though. I had them resurfaced, but they show blemishes. I have found that dark paint brings out flaws. Am still tempted to just go with the red, though!!! The floor is refinished wood, stained dark walnut. Would be very nice.

Thank you, dear!

rings90 said...

Every home needs at least 1 RED WALL!!!!! Seriously haven't you ever watched SATC?


Dutch boy has a VICTORY RED ~
http://dutchboy.com/colors/families/reds/stimulating/index.jsp

What a Great name for a color & what a grand inspiration it would be...

Brian and Becky said...

Myself, I feel invigorated by a buttery yellow room with accents in taupes and reds. Lots of white trim and flowing sheer curtains. Overstuffed chairs and zillions of picture frames. Large windows that open like french doors, allowing breezes and sunshine to filter in on summer days. Outfitting with cranberries and warm candles in the winter months. Accented with amber and browns in fall months. Flowered with tulips and hyacinth in the spring.

Timeless. Like Peterman. ;)

Miss Ive said...

These all sound so good.
Maybe one wall in each color?

Beck,

Am knocking out an entire wall for windows thank to your breezy description.

And, I need one of these:
http://jpeterman.com/product~cat~120208~sku~HAC%203138.asp

Have slept in every morning since moving in. Mattress is bewitching!

M.I.

Miss Ive said...

Lemme try that link again:

http://tinyurl.com/3jz2he

So tired today. . .

The Suzzzz said...

You are more ambitious than I am. I've lived in a house with white walls and white ceilings and white doors and white trim...for 2 years and I keep thinking I'm going to pain and I never do. I can't get past the color finding stage.

That said...

Light blue with chocolate and light brown accents. It reminds me of a brown bird against an early morning sky, kind of like the painting. Maybe a big stenciled "frame" around where the painting will hang...a la Martha Stewart Living's September issue on stenciling (we get it at work and I can't stop myself from reading it).

Miss Ive said...

Nachista!!!

In my uber-long post, perhaps you missed this part:

"Miss Ive is in paint paralysis"

Is it possible that you and I are living in the same paste-white walls and not be aware of it? House has been white-coated for three years. Hence the 'room of my own' where I am allowed to color on them in any color I bloody well please.

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH.

Thanks for the note. Have been dabbling in the blue palettes. Her shirt has icy blue undertones (don't I sound like I know what I'm talking about?).

Wondering if it will be to sombre, though?

I like your blue better. Sounds robin's egg-ish.

Nice.

Anonymous said...

My mom redid the kitchenin those colors. Picked them because thats waht the lady from the Home Depot said to do when she camein for a consult. Don't know if the Depot consults are free but if they are it may be a great begining point.

The Suzzzz said...

http://www.hgtv.com/hgtv/pac_ctnt_988/text/0,,HGTV_22056_70417,00.html?nl=HGIdeas_v305_8

Miss Ive said...

Okay girls,

All the votes are in. I thought about all you said and have settled on a compilation of all your designs.

Beck,

Chose a golden yellowish (almost taupe) from Sherwin Williams called The Golden Rule. Nice, right?

Will also be bringing in your sheer, flowing white drapes.

Rings,

Will accent with deep reds, her head scarf is red, too.

Nachista,

Will do a huge white stenciled frame around the painting. So it looks like crown molding. Ya know?

Perfect. Painting this weekend. Thanks girls. Will be putting pics on here.

The Suzzzz said...

Ok this is off subject but thought these shoes might look good with that J Peterman Portrait dress...

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b299/nachista/gowns/shoes.jpg

And here is my stuffed monkey named Willie, he is going to eventually type out "to be or not to be"

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b299/nachista/Pets/monkey1.jpg

PS-I still can't make internet links work in blogger, what am I doing wrong?

The Suzzzz said...

Ok those links didn't work, I just posted them on my blog.