Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Greedy Grins and Selfish Smiles



The title I just claimed as my own is not that—my own. I'd love to lie to you and say that is it. And I could. Because the author is only 15 and she is my sister. I could bribe her. Tell her to let me have it for some pop tarts. But the truth is, she wrote it. And she wrote this post on her VERY OWN BLOG.

She is E. Fatale. But she is more than that. I'll not say much more than that, because she is my sister and I cherish her. I'm greedy and will not share her wholly with you all. But I will say this—watch for her. Watch for her when you walk through Barnes and Noble with a coffee ten years from now. Listen for her words in the mouths of future political incumbents. She will speak. And people will listen. I'm not quite sure where or how yet, and that's half of her magic. Her energy is all over the map. But her language gets me riled up, and barely anything does.

I read this post at midnight one night. I started with an, 'oh, she's blogging, how nice?' and it ended with me waking everyone in the house and shaking them and saying, "DO YOU KNOW WHO WROTE THIS?!"

E. Fatale, I adore you. We all do. I adore how, at age 15, your voice whispers that you know who you are. Not wholly, yet, but enough to stride strongly forward, pushing away anyone who tries to quiet that voice. I love that. You inspire me. Really.

All of you, go to this site today and tell just one young person to keep changing this world. Do it. Because she'll keep doing it. With or without you. Bookmark this site. Why? Because one day soon, maybe election day, you'll watch the world and feel sad. You'll say what I often do. . . 'Why? . . .Why?' And then you'll think of E. Fatale. You'll go to her site, and you'll hear new life. . . and youth. . . and hope. . and brilliance. And then you'll let the old just wash away. . .and you'll smile.

This song makes me think of my E. Fatale. It makes me think, with reverence, of our youth, often better than us. . .

Play it. A lot. Listen when they say, "That was when I ruled the world," because she does, now. . .

2 comments:

E. Fatale said...

Dear Ive,

That was absolutely, positively brilliants. I'm so honored. I thnak my lucky stars that you are part of mi familia.

Love,
Fatale.

P.S. I LOVE 'Viva La Viva'. How'd you know? =]

Suzie Homewrecker said...

Your tiny sister is a Francoise Sagan in the makings! And you, dear, are quite the wordsmith yourself.